I haven't heard of that trick before, but it sounds interesting. What's the wattage of your soldering gun?

Ed

On 7/25/2012 6:41 PM, Ron Ward wrote:
Hi:
If you want to de-solder the case, I have had success taking some #12 or
#14 bare copper wire ( standard solid conductor house-wiring stripped of
the PVC insulation ) and wrapping it tightly around the base just above
the soldered junction. The wire is installed in my soldering gun just
like a new soldering gun tip. Add just a little solder to help in heat
transfer. Be careful as it will get really hot. I hold the top with a
weird set of very long needle nose pliers. They are small enough that
they don't act like much of a heatsink. You could fabricate one out of
wood. They would be disposable.
I hope this helps,
Ron