Yes, we all have to learn that lesson...

At the time I use bedea RG-223 and Belden H155 with soldered and crimped Telegaertner BNC connectors as general purpose cable (up to 2 GHz). Above that frequency I wouldn't use BNC. If you simply connect your tracking generator with the spectrum analyzer by using such a BNC cable there's not one that is absolutely stable when stressing the connector. I tried several manufacturers, HP, Suhner, Radiall, Rosenberger, it's always the same.

To make precise measurements I prefer screwed connectors like N or SMA.

Volker