On 02/02/2016 03:24 PM, Don Latham wrote:
You have it right, iovane. At the least, they should be protected from light,
thermal radiation, and emf.   Won'drous things will happen if the crystal and
its structure are subjected to radiation through the glass. I'd suggest a foam
wrap in a tin can as a minimum. Put the oscillator cat in there too.

  I have a 100 kHz glass "Crystal Unit" made by G.E.C., type JCF/193
with a serial number and sealed in a valve/tube with seven pins.
I removed it from my Eddystone EA12 that I bought from Tom Roberts,
G3YTO, SK 1985. It has a black shield with a spring inside at the top
so that it grips the base. The valve that produced 100 kHz markers for
dial calibration failed and I don't use the EA12 these days.
It will be interesting to see how stable it is and what the effect
of light and heat on it is when I start experimenting.

Ian, G4ICV, AB2GR