Hi

Back in the early days of multiplex transmission, frequency division multiplex
was king. There were a
lot of systems. They used a variety of schemes to pack the baseband signals
into sub 2 MHz sort of
arrangements. For quite a while the state of the art was to use various low
frequency crystals to generate
the multitude of careers that spread out from audio up to maybe a MHz or two.

As a result of this, there were a *LOT* of crystals made at weird low
frequencies. Some of these systems lived
on well after the advent of digital multiplex systems. Once you have 400 miles
of system A it’s easier to extend
it a “few more miles” than to re-do the whole thing. Spares for these systems
were made at least into the 1990’s.

While these are really cool looking parts (try a strobe on your 1 KHz bar …)
they rarely are very stable. They are
more interesting as art than as frequency standards.

Bob