Pete Lancashire wrote:
... I was using an HP lab supply>>>

Model ? Age ?

My bench has some pretty old HP's even Harrison Lab branded supplies.
have had to re-cap a few of them.
In a way it is almost a curse how reliable their supplies were. You
always got the V and I you wanted so one
never thought about the filtering getting worse over the years.

Also HP had two variations of their bench supplies. The basic ones
and the low noise versions. When I need
to make measurement like this, I make sure I'm using one of the low
noise/ripple models.

Adding my few cents' worth to the power supply ripple/noise thoughts, I've found that the old linear supplies by Power Designs Inc were among the best, at considerably lower cost than the HP/Harrison Labs units. Ripple/Noise in the low millivolts and high microvolts, 0.01 - 0.005% regulation and temperature stability in the neighborhood of 0.01%/degC were common. I have a couple on my bench, and they just keep on working. They still pop up at auction frequently.

Cheers,
Dave M