I have seen something similar with one of my Trimble Thunderbolts that I got through this group. After weeks of operation, the serial port stops responding and a power-cycle has it communicating again.

Firmware A002206.G1  Rev E

Running on OpenHPSDR LPU analog power supply that gets 13.6 volts from a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries in series that are charged from AC mains.

Serial port is normally disconnected; attached to MS Windows PC with Lady Heather when I am interested in data.

I bought a third Thunderbolt on eBay and it does not fail. The second of the two Thunderbolts I got through this group in 2008 does not fail either (same firmware).