On 10/18/2016 10:38 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
In message <ep0d0ctbrovmisvj43j57ns6smt606t...@4ax.com>, Gary Woods writes:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 16:53:15 +0200, you wrote:

14.317 MHz quartz.  Such frequency is a relic of original PC design

It's 4X the color subcarrier frequency in NTSC (originally U.S.)
television; rapidly becoming a dinosaur. I'm sure it was used in computers
to make color video easier. Newer boards doubtless use much faster clocks
and synthesize what the parts need.

It's 14.3181818 MHz and it has a most facinating history - if you care
for that sort of thing:

To this day, the 1.001 factor haunts us in all modern hardware and timing designs, including the latest synchronization standards.

It's fascinating that we have been simulating several centuries into the future to ensure that the algorithms for the synchronization will make the 1.001 factor keep working as intended. I wrote one such simulator being used.