Jerry
It depends on the unit and age. There are not rules of thumb from my
experiance.
Some of the approaches in HP as an example
Have switches and demand a specific frequency and level.
Some lock an internal reference to any multiple of a reference freq like 5
or 10 MHz.
Some are direct some are phased lock.
I actually look at each piece of HP gear and see whats going on.
Lazy can get you in trouble as I learned.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL