On 07/02/18 01:16, Bob kb8tq wrote:
>> MSF disciplined oscillator?! I don't trust these receivers to any better
>> than about the 20ms mark, so such a disciplined oscillator would have quite
>> a long integration time!
>
> Once upon a time, that *was* how people did disciplined oscillators. Part of
> the
> answer to “how?” is that their target accuracies were not as tight as what we
> now
> think of as normal.

I was under the impression the Radio Four carrier (198kHz ex 200kHz) was
the old "frequency standard of choice" in the UK, prior to GPS.

I don't recall anyone using MSF for much other than "what time is it, to
maybe the nearest second?".
Though I do recall John Becker of EPE magazine did a nifty little
millennium countdown clock using MSF as a base.

--
Phil.
phil...@philpem.me.uk