Hi, Magnus,

We did a little PC board that has two Analog Devices CML comparators that feed the flop.

  https://www.dropbox.com/s/05ti1c57eush0uq/99S394A.pdf?dl=0

An external DAC tweaks the VBIAS voltage to slew the edge times across one another, and an external ADC looks at the averaged flop outputs. The jitter noise floor is probably dominated by the test signals, not the flop under test. We considered something like a micrometer-driven differential trombone line... note that 1 fs is one PPM of a nanosecond, how far light travels in 12 micro-inches.

The quantization is probably DAC resolution. The step function is just the integral of the histogram.

This is going into a test set that needs maybe 1 ps RMS noise floor, so this flop is hugely better than what we need. It's a big deal to set this up, so I don't think we'll do any more measurements.

As a bang-bang phase detector, with some lowpass filtering in the loop, this flop would have a noise floor in the attosecond range. You're right, temperature will dominate low-frequency noise, and not just in the flop.

John