Computers on the same subnet don't route to each other.  Routing is between
different networks.  All of your computers will be on the same
10.30.1.0/24network, in additional to their other respective networks.

So for example.

Computer A has the IPs
192.168.1.2/24
10.30.1.2/24

Computer B has the IPs
10.0.0.2/24
10.30.1.130/24

Computer A will be able to reach computer B using it's 10.30.1.130 IP
address, but not its 10.0.0.2 address.

>From Computer A, when you try to ping 10.0.0.2, it will know that this IP is
not on a network computer A belongs to (Not the 192.168.1.0/24 or
10.30.1.0/24 networks) so it will send the packet to its gateway of last
resort.  That IP space isn't publicly routable however so it's just going to
be dropped.

>From Computer A, when you try to ping 10.30.1.130, it will know that this IP
*is* on a network computer A belongs to, the 10.30.1.0/24 network.  So it
will do an ARP request (broadcast) to get the MAC address associated with
the 10.30.1.130 IP.   The local Tinc gateway will ultimately (I believe,
Guus can speak on this with more authority than I can) perform the job of
proxy ARP to get the traffic to the destination on the other side of the
VPN.

Regards,
Donald

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Andrew Savinykh <[email protected]>wrote:

>  I'm sorry that I'm asking basic networking question in specialized mailing
> list, if this is  inappropriate please let me know.
>
> But there is still something that I don't understand regarding the
> conversation below. Even if I assign each PC a new IP,  how routing will
> work?
> I can put new IPs on the computers, but router will know nothing about them
> and because of it I don't see how PCs can see each other by these new IP
> addresses.
>
> Andrew.
>
>
> On 7/10/2010 2:14 p.m., Donald Pearson wrote:
>
> Sure it's possible, you just need to assign each node a new IP in the
> 10.30.1.0/24 network.  It's not part of the Tinc configuration, it's part
> of the network configuration of each computer.
>
> All Tinc is doing, is creating a layer 2 path for them to reach each
> other.  Yes broadcasts will traverse the VPN.  It literally is virtual
> ethernet over the internet.  :)
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to