Hi Cobin,

Thanks for the feedback. The machines I’m on are normally very stable but as a 
developer myself, I know how brittle things can often be. I don’t want to be 
too quick to put the blame on tinc, but since I’m having this issue on all 
three machines, I would normally suspect it is a tinc issue. I have no evidence 
to back it up however, and given the number of Windows problems I’ve had in 
recent years, I wouldn’t rule out MSFT either. Their code isn’t nearly as 
stable as it once was, and I’ve reported many bugs to them (as a programmer). 
Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find any simple VPN package that works 100% of 
the time (within reason). All the ones I’ve tried have one issue or another 
(Hamachi, Freelan, Comodo Unite, etc.). I may just have to live with this 
problem but wanted to gauge the experience of others. Thanks again.

Regards,

Larry

From: Cobin Bluth
Sent: Monday, May 5, 2014 3:32 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: FW: VPN stablility problems

I have experienced similar problems with a win7 ultimate amd64 machine. I have 
always attributed my VPN stability issues to a combination of WiFi and poor 
underlying internet connection. I have about 15 linux machines, 4 windows 7/8, 
and 2 raspberry pis all running tinc on varying vpn subnets and varying 
connections. I've had only one windows 7 machine with stability issues, most 
likely due WiFi and other factors...

On May 5, 2014 12:03 PM, "Larry Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:

  Hi there,

  I installed the latest version of your product (1.0.23) a couple of days ago 
and would like to know if there are known stability issues on Windows. It’s my 
first time using your product and I have it installed on three Windows 
machines, Win 8.1 Pro, Win 7 Pro, and Win 7 Starter’s edition (the latter is 
running on a low-end netbook). After installing it everything seemed to work at 
first but I soon noticed problems losing my connection between machines. 
Sometimes the connection remains up for an hour or two, and then the connection 
drops for no apparent reason (I can no longer ping for instance). It may then 
come back up again after a while but I can’t find any pattern so far. Right now 
for instance, my Win 7 Pro machine can ping the Win 7 Starter’s machine but not 
the other way around. It was working in both directions a couple of days ago 
however. I’ve tried stopping and re-starting the service on both machines, 
re-booting the routers, etc., but the situation is currently persistent (but 
may resolve itself again later). Note that I’m an experienced C++ developer and 
I’ve checked all obvious issues (firewall, port forwarding, IP addresses, 
etc.). It should work however since I’ve made no changes to my original setup. 
All machines have a stable connection to the Internet and I can remotely login 
between the machines using other software. While I’d like to give you the 
benefit of the doubt and it is a free product (which I do appreciate BTW), 
something doesn’t appear to be stable so I’m wondering if this is a known 
issue. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

  Regards,

  Larry Smith

  _______________________________________________
  tinc mailing list
  [email protected]
  http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc


---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection 
is active.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to