Hi Cédric/Nick,

Thanks for the feedback. My network is actually as simple as they come. The problem exists even on two machines running on the same physical LAN (in my house). My router is set up to forward port 655 to one machine on that LAN, and to another port on a second machine. Even in that environment however the connection goes down sometimes. Both those machines are also connected to a remote machine which has the same issue but no more frequently than the machines in my house. I could try debugging things further as you suggested (Nick: I will look into all your suggestions - thanks), but since it's already the simplest set up possible, it should work out-of-the-box (and does normally except for this occasional instability). Since it's affecting three machines all running different versions of Windows (again, two in my house and one remotely), on the surface it seems unlikely to be a Windows problem (why would three different versions of the OS all have the same issue). It's therefore (likely) either a hardware issue or a "tinc" issue. My hardware is normally very stable however so I suspect it's a "tinc" issue (the most likely culprit at this point anyway). I'll try to debug it further to see if I can verify that but I wouldn't think it would (normally) be necessary to check or change any default settings for this to work (let alone any exotic settings). Thanks again.

Regards,

Larry

-----Original Message----- From: Cédric Lemarchand
Sent: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:51 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VPN stablility problems

Help Larry,

Le 5 mai 2014 à 22:01, Larry Smith <[email protected]> a écrit :

I may just have to live with this problem but wanted to gauge the experience of others. Thanks again.

I use Tinc since 4 years now, it links 11 sites at office and, in my context (Linux routers over MPLS networks), it works like a charm and is pretty stable. Maybe you should try debugging harder the under layers of your network, or try a simplest configuration (LAN <=> LAN) and see if the issue remains.

Cheers
_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection 
is active.
http://www.avast.com

_______________________________________________
tinc mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.tinc-vpn.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tinc

Reply via email to