On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:30:19 -0600, Michael Smith wrote:

Let me start with a well-known saying:

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Meaning, of course, if one makes a claim that runs counter to
what is generally accepted as "true" (e.g., claiming that the earth
is roundish, that the sun is the center of the solar system),
reasonable people will ask what is the evidence in support of
such claims.  Unreasonable people with sufficient power and
authority may not only dismiss and ignore such claims but
may also imprison or kill the persons advocating such views.

Allow me to paraphrase the saying above to the following:

"Even mundane claims about everyday life require extraordinary
evidence because ascertaining causal relationships in real life
situations cannot be done with real condifence without experimental
research because mere observation will only at best suggest
correlations among potentially relevant variables but will never
establish causal relations"

Not as pithy as the original statement but I think it covers all of
the relevant issues.  I would also suggest Steven Sloman's book
"Causal Models" as a review about how ordinary think about
causal relations, when do they get it right, and what makes them
to get it wrong; see:
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Psychology/Cognitive/?view=usa&ci=0195183118

Let's move on.

> Michael Sylvester said he is tired of the demand for references. lol

Michael Sylvester appears to be a man of faith, he appears to accept
what people say uncritically, regardless of how riciduluous they may be
or inconsistent with empirical evidence they are; however, this seems
to be true only if it is in agreement with his existing beliefs (i.e., a
self-confirming bias).  In this situation serious scholarship in form of
thoroughly knowing a literature and being able to articulate positions
and cite chapter and verse in support of those positions is not relevant.
References are for people who don't believe that they have the "Truth"
and think that they live in a probabilistic universe in contrast to those
who do know the "Truth" and understand that the universe is simple
and completely deterministic (at least in the confines of one's mind;
what does it matter if no one else agrees with you?).

> Well that's not likely to change, but I agree that you have a point.

And, of course, there are the enablers.

> Generally someone makes a point and provides a reference and the point
> tends to be considered proven and true.

This is such an extraordinary statement that I almost don't know where
to start a response to it.  Dr. Smith has shown a tendency for not
providing references (i.e., the literature that provides the empirical
support for the statements that he making), even in the simple case
of providing a link to a Wikipedia entry that he is allegedly citing.

Let me start by focusing on the last part of his statement "the point
tends to be considered proven and true".  Let me make a few
comments on this:

(1)  If one is referring to mathematics or logic or some other
formal system that relies heavily or exclusively on deductive logic,
the use of the term "proof" and "true" take on certain specific
definitions which are quite clear.  A proof shows how a conclusion
validly follows from a set of premises or assumptions which have
had rules applied to them that leads one to the conclusion.  The
proof is true if the rules have been applied appropriatedly within
their system and there are no contradictions produced within the
proof.  This kind of knowledge is certain and unambiguous (though
one can ask questions about the appropriateness of the assumptions
and the rules used; within the system as defined, however, one can
be assured that one has a valid and true proof or not).

(2)  The intellectually careless or sloppy or ignorant might use
the word "proof" not in the sense above but in as a "weasal
word", that is, to give the impression that an issue has been
shown to be definitively true without an examination of either the
argument that serves as the basis for this claim or the relevant
evidence.  For example, commercials for many herbal supplements
"body part extenders", and other products may make statements
such as "clinical research proves it works!" without providing
a cititation to the research or review of the evidence -- this is
done to convery a false sense of the effective of the product
being sold.  The choice of "proof" and "true" is intentional because
they convey a certain finality and lack of uncertainty, something
that the term "evidence" does not suggest (e.g., there is a radio
commercial where some "brain supplement" is being given away
for free and apparent "consumers" say things like "They're giving it
away for free? It must be good!" followed up by we couldn't
say this if it weren't "true").

(3)  Since most empirical research is an inductive reasoning activity
and we typically do not have access to all relevant cases, we must
deal with samples of observations which may or may not be representative
of all possible cases.  The "Black Swan Problem", which I believe
what most explored by David Hume, asked how could we "prove"
that the following statement was "true" (any empirical claim could
be substituted for the statement that is used):

(A)  All swans are white.

Now on the basis of all empirical experience to the early 18th century,
everyone in Europe and neighboring areas of Africa and Asia provided
confirmation that all swans in existence were white (a swan of a different
color in this situation would be a pathological case).  Empirically, there
was overwhelming support for the the truth of the statement "all swans
are white" but there remained one important and unconsidered question:
have we examined all possible instances of swans and have we found
all of them to be white?  The answer to this question was "NO" but
could be ignored because the evidence for  "all swans are white" was
so overwhelming:  all of the cultures and their histories always confirmed
that swans were white.  Wasn't this "proof" that "all swans are white"?

Travelling, y'know, is a good thing because it gets one out of one's
limited environment and makes one appreciate that the rest of the world
is not like your local environment (i.e., "home").  And what you thought
was certain and unchallengeable at "home" might in fact turn out to be
wrong because the local environment provided only a biased sample of
observations and evidence for things.  So, when European travellers
finally made it to Australia and found that there were flocks of black
swans living there, this posed something of a problem.  The folks
back "home" could do a variety of things in response to such news:

(i)  Deny it.  All experience led to the inescapable conclusion that
"all swans are white".  Either the explorers are lying or they are "mad".

(ii) Ask for evidence of such creatures, preferably in the form of
actual black swans (NOTE:  explorers also spoke of other incredible
creatures such a mermaids:  one could uncritically accept that such
creatures existed or one could ask what was the evidence for such a
claim, that is, produce an actual mermaid).

The main point here is that unless all relevant instances can be examined,
a sample of observation may not provide sufficient evidence to reach a
definitive conclusion, that is, mere observation does not provide "proof".

It should be noted that empirically we can have situations that can
be interpreted as "proof".  Consider the following statement:

(B)  All U.S. Presidents have been men.

Is this an empirically true statement?  Can we examine all relevant
presidents to determine whether they were actually male (and not
females in disguise or of intersex gender)?  Yes.  In a situation like
this, where all relevant cases are available for examination, we can
reach some really "true" conclusions (similarly, by examining the
richest 100 U.S. citizens we might reach other true conclusions,
such as the irrelevance of a doctorate in being among the richest).

Getting back to the starting point:

If one is making a statement like "All U.S. Presidents have been men",
then it may be accepted as being "true" and unless one is not familiar with
U.S. presidents "proof" for such a statement might not be asked for.

If one is making a statement like "Spanking has beneficial effects on
child behavior which extends into adolescence and adulthood", well,
one might be curious as whether someone or anyone is capable of
examining all cases of where children have been spanked and compared
that to similar situations where children have not been spanked.

This would be a truly extraordinary research project and I for one
would like to study it if for no other reason than to understand how
such a project could be done.

However, if only a sample of such children have been studied, no
definitive conclusions can be reached (unless one puts more stock
in faith of their conclusions than the empirical support for such
conclusions).  Indeed, because they are only samples, how
representative are the samples?  Issues of external validity are relevant
but one just has to remember how there was overwhelming evidence
for the claim that "all swans are white" but this statement has been shown
to be false.  Strong claims about empirical phenomena should be based
on strong empircal evidence and anyone who has read or conducted
a meta-analysis or a systematic quantitative review of a research literature
will realize that one should be very cautious about uncritically accepting
a published study's conclusions and should also realize that other readers
may have very different interpretations and evaluation of the same study.

On the last point, it might benefit people to spend some time (e.g., years)
going over the materials on the following websites:

www.cochrane.org
www.campbellcollaboration.org

Just a little more and I'll stop.

> The inclusion of a reference or two which "settles it" can be a kind
> of reference to authority.

First, a reference that is of the kind that, say, establishes that there
are black swan does settle it when it comes to claiming that "All swans
are white".  Substitute any empirical claim for "all swans are white"
and this point remains relevant -- it is a key component of falsificationism.

Second, if one says that valid and reliable data which has been appropriately
analysed has the ability to decide between claims/hypotheses, then, yes, this
is an authority that most of empirical science accepts.  It is not the
"reference"
that is the authority, it is the data and what the data tells us that is the
authority.  Think of it in these terms:  the reference or published research
article is just the wrapper for the tasty chewy goodness that is the data
and results within.

Anyone else feels like having a Snickers bar right now? ;-)

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu