Hi

Rather than "nothing," what Jim saw was the following passage in a
review (described by Chris as "a fine review") of the book on
objectivity.

"It makes a persuasive case that the modern notion of objectivity
emerged only in the mid-19th century. It was then that objectivity
prevailed as what the authors call an "epistemic virtue"*that is to
say, a moral attribute of the people who were recognized as makers of
knowledge."

Now this is either an accurate characterization of a claim in the book
or not ... but that is irrelevant to the claim being asserted.  All I
did was express surprise at this claim about objectivity being a
mid-19th century phenomenon.  To quote myself:

"Reading the review, I was struck by the claim that "objectivity" only
emerged as a central value for scientists in the mid 19th century.
Surely, it has a much older footing in science and empiricism (e.g.,
Bacon's idols of the mind, the use of observation to test beliefs,
...)."

I'm not sure what I have "presumed" here since I just restated the
assertion from the review.  Nor was it particularly helpful to be told
by Chris (who apparently has read the book?) to "Read the book and you
might learn something new."  That is undoubtedly true of an untold
number of books or articles that I might read, and surely goes without
saying.  Generally I find it more helpful (as well as saving a lot of
reading) when people familiar with works that I am unfamiliar with give
some idea of the argument the authors make (i.e., the evidence they
present?) rather than telling me to read the source.  Indeed, that is
one of the reasons I enjoy TIPs so much ... vicarious "reading."

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor of Psychology
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

Michael Smith wrote:
> I think Jim's post highlights some of the problems when talking
about
> "objective", "evidence", "opinion", etc.
>
> That is, the reviewer Jan Golinski is simply promoting further
> "evidence" for his views while Jim sees through this
> with his more "objective" knowledge which presumably puts the lie to
Golinski.

Jim saw nothing because he has not read the book. He merely *presumed*

because he didnn't like what he thought he might see if he looked. Now

*that's* cranky (not to mention subjective).

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology