Indeed, we should be objective, but we should also read Daston &
Galison's book about the history of the term, and how its meaning has
shifted over the decades from the mid-19th century until now (so that we
don't get too self-righteous about the matter).
http://www.amazon.com/Objectivity-Lorraine-Daston/dp/1890951781

(And then, we could read my article about how some of E. B. Titchener's
work is more explicable if seen through the lens of Daston & Galison's
history of objectivity, forthcoming in the December issue of the history
of science journal, /Isis/) :-)

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green