On 29 Dec 2010 at 17:29, Mike Palij wrote:

> This is not a parallel example but an example that (a) makes use of
> some of the supernatural concepts referred to the in the NY Times
> article and (b) how a "Western" view (at least one of them) deals with
> it:
> http://www.hearkenthewatchmen.com/article.asp?id=394
>
> Though this links to a blog entry, one can try to find the original case
> study in the New Oxford Review (whatever that is).

It's a journal "dedicated to delivering sparkling prose on behalf of
Holy Mother Church from some of the finest Catholic writers of our
time".

The original case study would be here, where they give you a bit of
it (only) for free:
http://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?did=0308-gallagher

There's not enough to give a judgement on the "sparkling prose"
claim, but it does seem to be thoughtful and well-written. But, of
course, any explanation which invokes the supernatural places it
beyond science. Rather than demonic possession, I'd suggest that the
possessed victim viewed too many Hollywood movies and was engaged in
role-playing, whether consciously intended or not. And there do seem
to be similarities between the beliefs of psychoanalysis and its
methods to support them,  and those of religion.

Stephen

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University