With reference to the article "A Doctor in Iraq, Watching a Faith
Healer at Work"
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/health/28cases.html?_r=2:

Stephen writes:
>I think Allen may be coming down a bit too
>hard on Dr. Afkhami [who writes]:
>That disorder is well known to mental health professionals:
>once termed hysteria, it is usually touched off or worsened
>by a well-defined stressor like an engagement."

My first reaction was to think that there was some validity in
Stephen’s point, but on further thought I’m not so sure. All Dr Afkhani
is referring to here is the stress and possible anxieties that may
arise when a young person becomes engaged to be married, which
possibility is universal. But my point was that he failed to even touch
on the possibility that at least part of the young woman’s fears may be
associated with being reluctant to marry a relative chosen for her as
determined by her father.

I’m not saying that Dr Afkhani should have advocated that the Kurdish
healer should have necessarily delved into her situation to find out
exactly what was at the root of her anxieties. Unfortunately in such
traditional patriarchal societies a young woman who openly rebelled
against being forced to marry against her wishes (if such were the case
here) might find life virtually impossible, and coming to terms with
her situation could be making the best of a bad situation. In fact
rebellion could cost a young woman her life if she went against Kurdish
tradition, as this UN human rights report in November 2010 shows:

“Eliminating gender-based violence in Kurdistan, the conservative
northern region of Iraq where ‘honour’-based killings are still common,
remains a battle.”
http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportID=91216

Given this background, I still find it disturbing that an article in
the New York Times should recount the situation of a young Iraqi
Kurdish woman in the terms described not only without raising the
possibility that she was being forced into a marriage she didn’t want,
but even hailing the healer’s treatment of the woman as an example of
“patient-centered care”. And I suspect that this Kurdish Women’s Rights
organisation would not be happy either:
http://www.kwrw.org/

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department