From: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS) digest
<tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
To: tips digest recipients <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Sat, Jun 29, 2013 6:30 am
Subject: tips digest: June 28, 2013

From: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS) digest"
<tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 01:00:01 -0400

TIPS Digest for Friday, June 28, 2013.

1. A flavorful research article

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: allenester...@compuserve.com
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13076.897dfc4f20f0edf00528e4c6f4ad2c5b&n=T&l=tips&o=26272
or send a blank email to
leave-26272-13076.897dfc4f20f0edf00528e4c6f4ad2...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

Attached Message

rfro...@jbu.edu <rfro...@jbu.edu>

A flavorful research article

Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:50:30 -0500

While reading a research report on the topic of the effect of cutlery on taste
in the open access journal Flavour, I noted this sentence: “Forty naïve Oxford
University undergraduate students participated
in Experiment 2…”. After wondering if that wasn’t a redundancy (or if this
description would apply to a majority or only a minority of Oxford students), I
wondered what the word “naïve” might mean in this usage. It was used as if it
were familiar jargon to describe an element of the design. Is this a common
British term to mean “blinded to the experimental design or hypothesis”?

My next favorite line from the article was, “all of the participants were
British, that is, native English speakers, save one participant who was
bilingual”. I would have thought such as assumption to be more likely made of
American than British university students (imagine the humor if the sentence
had read, “all of the participants were American, that is, native English
speakers”). Maybe they weren’t really referring to how many languages of
fluency but just that their first language was English.

It was also interesting that the Methodology section came after the Results and
Conclusions.

If you couldn’t access the hyperlink above, the URL of the article is:
http://www.flavourjournal.com/content/pdf/2044-7248-2-21.pdf.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
Professor of Psychology
Box 3519
John Brown University
2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR  72761
rfro...@jbu.edu
(479) 524-7295
http://bit.ly/DrFroman

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=26276