Can someone confirm a rumor that I was told.... that the Tivo wireless 
adapter or within the firmware, the speed is limited for file transfers, but 
perhaps not for streaming.  I'm trying to determine what is the bottle neck 
for show transfers, near real time is just too slow for my taste, even 
though I sometimes get 2x speed, it takes too long to move something like an 
HD movie to my PC for storage.

I have been considering putting my DSL router at the Tivo/Blu-Ray/TV stand, 
since all three are networkable and would operate faster streaming movies 
and such if wired.  Ok, so movie streaming is limited by my 6M DSL speed, 
this is mostly about file transfers.  Since the phone comes in the house at 
that end of the building, I could split the phone/DSL right at the junction 
box, the TV, Tivo and Blu-Ray would get network ports, though not gigabit, 
and then all the computers in the house would be wireless.  I'd probably 
keep the netbook near the router for those occasions where wifi doesn't want 
to work and you need to access the router.  I currently get better than 50% 
signal, usually 60-70%, on both units, but the TV is only wired, and really 
doesn't add much except firmware updates to the system.

My other option is a network bridge, kinda like a router in reverse, it 
creates 4 access points through a wireless connection to the DSL/router. 
Those cost about $100, and that's only useful speed wise since it can be 
802.11N where current wireless adapters are 802.11G.  I'm not sure if that 
would create an additional wireless access point if it's already in bridge 
mode, anyone familiar with these things ?

Glen 

Reply via email to