Martin,

I think that the wording I would prefer would be along the lines of

A server MUST NOT error on the value of the extension when a higher TLS version
is requested.  The server MUST use the minimum of the requested value and the
maximum value for the TLS version negotiated.  A server MAY error if a the
value of the extension is exceeded for the version of TLS requested.