On 02/19/2018 11:55 AM, Jim Schaad wrote:

> [...]

Consider the hypothetical case where we define an extension
my_mtu_is_absurd, that lets you send 2**16-1-byte records, so the client
sends that extension as well as a record_size_limit extension including
the 2**16-1-byte value.  A server that does not know about
my_mtu_is_absurd might say "this value 2**16-1 is way too big; I'm going
to abort", and that's the behavior that we're trying to prevent.

-Ben