> Thanks for all the discussion on this topic.  There are several modes that
> TLS 1.2 can operate with respect to DH.  Below is a proposal on cases to
> merge some of the cases covered by this draft into the obsolete keyex draft.
> I'd like to see if there is some consensus to make this change before we
> adopt it into the working group.
>
> 1. static-static where both client and server have DH certificates with long
> term keys.  I think we have general consensus that this mode should be a must
> not.  To deprecate this mode I think we need to state that clients MUST NOT
> use certificates of type rsa_fixed_dh and dsa_fixed_dh and server MUST NOT
> request them.  Would the working group support merging this guidance into the
> obsolete keyex draft?
>
> 2. ephemeral-static where the client uses an ephemeral key and the server
> uses a long term key.  This mode does not provide forward secrecy.  I'm not
> sure we have reached consensus on how far to deprecate this option.  Would
> the working group support MUST NOT use these ciphersuites unless forward
> secrecy does not matter for your use case and any implementation guidance
> provided to avoid weaknesses is followed?

The implementation guidance to avoid weaknesses in any ephemeral-static
exchange is "don't get anything wrong, anything at all, all the way down to
your field arithmetic libraries". I don't think that's a workable
recommendation, and I believe we should deprecate modes that are so unsafe to
implement.