Bas Westerbaan writes:
> X-Wing is a KEM - not a combiner.

Sure, but there's a combiner present inside it---and even advertised:
see "X-Wing uses the combiner" etc. at the beginning of this thread.

If people are motivated by things like http://tinyurl.com/5cu2j5hf to
use the same combiner with a different KEM, would they be deterred by a
presentation purely as a unified package? Or by enough warnings? Maybe,
but a little more hashing has negligible cost and will reduce the risk.

> Insisting that X-Wing use that generic combiner, is not dissimilar to
> insisting that every KEM that uses an FO transform, should use the
> same generic FO transform.

The title and introduction of https://cr.yp.to/papers.html#tightkem
recommend unifying FO transforms. This would have avoided various
subsequent breaks of NIST submissions.

To be clear, I think other concerns such as efficiency _can_ outweigh
the advantages of unification, but this has to be quantified. When I see
a complaint about "hashing the typically large PQ ciphertexts", I ask
how this compares quantitatively to communicating the ciphertexts, and
end up with a cost increment around 1%, which is negligible even in the
extreme case that the KEM is the main thing the application is doing.

---D. J. Bernstein