Ilari Liusvaara <ilariliusva...@welho.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 08:49:24AM -0800, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 8:24 AM D. J. Bernstein <d...@cr.yp.to> wrote:

Dear Ilari, dear all,

> > > To be clear, I think other concerns such as efficiency _can_ outweigh
> > > the advantages of unification, but this has to be quantified. When I see
> > > a complaint about "hashing the typically large PQ ciphertexts", I ask
> > > how this compares quantitatively to communicating the ciphertexts, and
> > > end up with a cost increment around 1%, which is negligible even in the
> > > extreme case that the KEM is the main thing the application is doing.
> > >

> > Responding to Dan but really this is a question to the draft authors. Do
> > you agree with Dan on the approximate overhead here?
>
> I am not one of draft authors, but I tried to estimate the overhead and
> ended up with in ballpark of 7%.

The 7% sound about right as a ballpark number, but will also highly
depend on the environment. However, I don't think that the question
about the cost of hashing the ciphertext is the right question to ask,
because it misses the point of why we propose X-Wing.

There is, without a doubt, value in standardizing a generic combiner that
can be used with any two CCA-secure KEMs to obtain a hybrid CCA-secure
KEM. I expect many contraints (performance, policy, certification) that
will make different applications choose different KEMs or parameter sets
and they will need precisely such a standard of a generic combiner.

There may also be value in solutions that exploit protocol features to
maximize performance. This is what the currently deployed combination of
Kyber768 and X25519 in TLS uses and I would trust that careful
evaluations of the pros and cons lead to the decision to *not* use a
generic combiner to build a hybrid KEM from Kyber768 and X25519.

With X-Wing, we're aiming at something else, namely a "cryptographically
opinionated" go-to solution for anybody who wants a KEM that is as
simple to integrate and deploy as any other, non-hybrid, KEM. In other
words, we would like to have an answer to the question "What KEM should
I use" that is as simple as

  "Use X-Wing."

and not as complicated as

  "Use Kyber768, but of course you should go for a hybrid solution
  together with some ECDH; look at this standard for a generic combiner,
  but if your protocol hashes full transcripts into the session key, it
  might be OK to not hash in the long ciphertext and gain some
  performance, except there is no formal proof of that".

I believe that such a simple go-to solution is exactly what many
applications will want and that standardizing X-Wing as a KEM (which
simply happens to be hybrid), will be helpful for a sensible migration
to PQC.

All the best,

Peter