"D. J. Bernstein" <d...@cr.yp.to> wrote:
> Peter Schwabe writes:

Dear Dan, dear all,

> > we would like to have an answer to the question "What KEM should
> > I use" that is as simple as
> >   "Use X-Wing."
>
> Having an easy-to-use, prepackaged answer is great!

Glad to hear that we agree!

> What I'm saying is that the easy-to-use, prepackaged answer should
> _internally_ use a combiner that includes the full ciphertext and
> public key in the hash:
>
>    H = SHA3-256,
>    hybridpk = (receiverpkECDH,receiverpkKEM),
>    hybridct = (senderpkECDH,senderctKEM),
>    hybridss = H(ssECDH,ssKEM,H(hybridct),H(hybridpk),context)
>
> This reduces load on security reviewers: everyone can see that the full
> ct is included in the hash, without having to worry about KEM details.

Here I disagree: the security analysis needs to be done *once* (and has
been done, but of course still needs review; ideally also
computer-verification). Once this review has been done, the savings in
cycle counts come for free.

The idea that hashes come for free is simply no longer true in a PQ
world and if we manage to eliminate a significant (albeit not huge)
amount of cycles through a careful security analysis that needs to be
done once, I expect this to be helpful for adoption.

> It also reduces risks for people who rip out the KEM (for example,
> because of patent concerns) and swap in another KEM.

This is why it's very important to standardize (and communicate) X-Wing
as a KEM, not as a combiner. This is also why I wouldn't want QSF or the
very specific combiner to be added to any other standard as a standalone
"combiner primitive".

>   [ regarding TLS ]
> > I would trust that careful
> > evaluations of the pros and cons lead to the decision to *not* use a
> > generic combiner to build a hybrid KEM from Kyber768 and X25519.
>
> When and where would this comparison of combiners have happened?
> Citation needed, especially if the previous evaluation is supposed to
> serve as a substitute for current evaluation.

I was not involved in the decision-making process of the current TLS
deployment, so I will have to let people answer who did make those
design decisions.

All the best,

Peter