Remy Maucherat wrote:

> > With my design, you still need one thread/request but only for the
> > time required to process container.invoke()
>
> In the real world, the servlets and JSPs are the thing which take by far the
> most time to complete, so I'm not sure you wouldn't end up spending a lot of
> time in the threaded part.

 There was a long discussion on the advanced-servlets list
a while back. That discussion concluded that the NIO looked
most promising for:

 - Cleanly waiting for persistent connections (which take
   up a connector thread but don't really need to) You
   can kinda sorta do this already with the existing java.io
   classes, but NIO is better. This is a relatively easy
   win.

 - Serving static content. It's not just the non-blocking
   io, serving from memory mapped files is a beguilingly
   easy (but maybe not always the best) way to improve file
   serving performance.

 Using NIO to reduce the time service() needed to tie up
a thread is fun, but seemed unlikely to help very much in
practice. And of course the optimized char conversion
stuff, but that's obviously useful and therefore boring.

 I'm pretty sure newesh versions of Jetty include a first
pass at integrating NIO, so anybody that's interested
might want to take a look.

 There's some fairly bogus (but still kinda interesting)
benchmark results using NIO-like routines to serve static
files at distributopia.com. (Sun says no NIO-bmarks until
it's out of beta, so I used Matt Welsh's NBIO code)

--
Christopher St. John [EMAIL PROTECTED]
DistribuTopia http://www.distributopia.com