Glenn Nielsen wrote:

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>

> I'm now independent and unemployed, so I'm not aware of the Sun
> schedules for the spec anymore :-P Probably within 3-6 months given
> J2EE 1.4 is in beta. The rule is we cannot release a stable version of
> 5.0.x until the specs are final.
>
> Rémy

If I understand correctly, what you are saying above is that Tomcat 4
development
should be frozen except for bug fixes and all changes and new features
go in
Tomcat 5?  Is that a correct summary?  If so I think it is premature to
do so,
especially since a production quality version of Tomcat 5 could take 6
months.

If we are just maintaining Tomcat 4.1 (bug fixes), I would be willing to
port
any bug fixes to the Tocmat 4.1 branch into a Tocmat 4.2 development
branch.
And when a 4.2 branch is ready, willing to act as the release manager if
you are
not interested in doing so.

I consider 4.1.x can recieve bug fixes and minor feature additions (example: the JNDI realm new feature which just got added, optimisations, etc ...), similar to HTTPd 2.0. This is consistent with the patches I and others have been applying, the release process we've been following, and so on.

You may want to clarify your intentions, and since this release process has been going on for 6+ months, I fail to see how you could be surprised at how things are getting done ;-)

Remy