Fredrik Westermarck wrote:

> Do you actually mean that a new feature will only be added if there is
> enough committers that need the feature? Does this apply only to 4.1.x?

Well... In theory it should apply to all tomcat features, or at
least to important ones - they must be first proposed on the list,
discussed, and then voted. We use 'lazy consensus' ( i.e. commit
first and wait for -1 ) a bit too much.

I was refering to the proposed tomcat 4.2 release. It needs at least
3 +1 votes - i.e. committers who are willing to spend time on it.

> Since I'm not aware of the TC 5.0 requirements regarding the JDK and
> such I might be wrong here but...

AFAIK - JDK1.3.
( it should work fine with JDK1.2, but I don't think it is tested that
much ).

> My guess is that many users will not be able to switch to TC 5.0 when it
> is released since their applications might have to be modified and in
> many cases also be unable to switch since their application might not be
> tested with the required JDK.

TC5.0 should be backward compatible.

> If so wouldn't it be better if new features could be implemented into TC
> 4.x?

The real question is who is going to do that. As I said, if there are people
who need it and are willing to do the work - then it'll happen.