Pier Fumagalli wrote:

On 9/12/02 23:06 "Jeanfrancois Arcand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Pier Fumagalli wrote:

On 9/12/02 17:14 "Jeanfrancois Arcand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Youy don't need to learn JSP/Admin Tool if you don't use it. The actual
Tomcat installation doesn't require you to learn the Admin Tool or JSP....

As I said 6 or so months ago... That "thing" is a security hole as big as

Can you give me an example of a security hole? I would be interested to
fix those holes....

They come up every now and then... That's why Costin wanted that all-private
for your eyes only noone who is not cross checked with the FBI gets in
security mailing list, right?...

Not sure is the real reason. We were doing a Security Audit during that time and as a community, we where trying to find a better list to declare possible security issues and fix them before the public is informed.

Want a list of the past ones?

http://search.cert.org/query.html?col=certadv&col=incnotes&col=vulnotes&ht=0
&qp=&qt=tomcat&qs=&qc=&pw=100%25&ws=1&la=en&qm=0&st=1&nh=25&lk=1&rf=2&rq=0&s
i=1

(err, page 1 out of 24)...

;-)

the Empire State Building... As most of the stuff that make up "tomcat"...
We have some bugs in JSR-154, few in Jasper, few in JSSI, few in CGI... All
together it makes a ****load of em...

Yes, you are right (think about Windoses). Is the reason to have an only
154 distribution is security? That a very different story...

For me it is... For others it might be a different reason... I joined Apache
because of a friend, you because of your employer... SO? Reasons are
different, outcome is the same...

Yep. That why we are trying to reach concensus.

If someone can come up with a Servlet-only distribution, at least I won't
get holes from all the other (totally useless) components...

True. But if Jasper/AdminTool/etc. are secure, then that doesn't that no
a good reason IMO.

Ehemm... With 24 pages of vulnerability notes? Ha.. Hahaha.... Hahahaha! :-)

Rule of the thumb #1... Not even

public class Main
   public static void Main(String argv[]) {
       System.out.println("This program doesn't have a bug");
   }
}

Doesn't have a bug, allright? Because to execute that little statement my
proc actually does some bazillion operations, and god knows how many INC,
ADD, SUB and MUL my proc does to get that out...

So, rule of the thumb #2. No software ever written is _ever_ secure (Just
consider that the Boeing 777 "software" - which is the most secure OS on
this planet as far as research goes - Has only one bug every 180.000 lines
of code)...

Did I say that every software are secure? Your are right and I will not argument at all. But from your previous posting, I was under the impression you were aware of security holes....

Now, don't tell me that ALL that collection of cruft doesn't have a bug...
It's just that we are lucky and noone found them yet (given enough eyes...
Linus says)...

I never say that and I will never says that. But I least I have try during the Security Audit to fix some of the obvious one. Still Tomcat is probably not enough secure (and will never be). My point is if you are aware of such obvious one, then let me know and I will fix them. But I don't think Tomcat is more secure without JSP.... I know, I know, what I think you don't care :-)

To sum up: rule of the thumb #3, less code, less bugs (you folks from Sun
preach that all over your Solaris Blueprints stuff, I learnt it when your
employer was paying my salary).

Wow, didn't know that... I've missed the chance to work with you :-) I should studies my Tomcat history and learn who is doing what, what biases he/she have, and then vote appropriatly.

So, please, donšt come up on a mailing list saying "that is secure", just
say that "noone has found a bug yet", because that (and only that) is the
truth...

I agree my wording was not appropriate. Should say that in french next time :-)

-- Jeanfrancois

Pier