Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

What I would love to see is a tree of downloads where each one gains more
and more features (it is additive). Such as:

                JSR-154 Implementation
               /                      \
            Jasper                  Velocity
             /   \                     \
Admin Tool (JMX) Java Server Feces   Scarab

That way, you only need to download what you need. Bundles are easily
created by simply picking off the branch of the tree that you want. If you
want the "Tomcat" distribution with web based administration abilities, then
you grab it at the "Admin Tool" level and so on. We can even build an ant
based system which is able to help us manage the selection of components to
include in the distribution. This would be similar to the way that we
currently have jar repositories and dependencies, but on an application
level. "Click here to install Jasper, Struts, etc."

Not only does this provide our users the ability to simply get what they
need (and add it after the fact if they don't have it), it helps us focus on
providing a pluggable system which is separate from the other systems (ie:
clean dependencies).

I personally think that this is a much cleaner way of providing
distributions because it does not require people to learn or deal with
things they do not care about. Options are a good thing. Let's not limit
ourselves.

Youy don't need to learn JSP/Admin Tool if you don't use it. The actual Tomcat installation doesn't require you to learn the Admin Tool or JSP....

One last point, we should be able to experiment around here. The negative
votes have been based on biases about what I think about Jasper and my
opinions. They are not based on the idea that experimentation is a good
thing and I think that is just plain wrong and very closed minded. Who are
you to decide what our users may or may not like? In the end, if things
don't work out, then fine at least we learned something and we can move on
to the next thing.

I'm with this group since August, and did not see any post from you since last week. So my vote is certainly not based on your biaises :-). And I am not using the Admin Tool at all personnaly....

What do we really have to loose here?

Simplicity. But since we don't have any statistic about the user (what we want, what he use when he download Tomcat), it is hard to prove he doesn't use JSP/Admin Tool/JMX, and hard to prove he doesn't use it.
-jon

-- Jeanfrancois