I apologize for not doing as much homework as usual before posting a question. Google turned up nothing helpful, the mailing list archive search isn't working right now, and we're (of course) in a hurry.

We've had Tomcat 5.0.19 working on a number of Windows machines for a while, running on Win2K and WinXP under j2sdk1.4.2_04 Yesterday we had to install it on a Windows Server 2003 machine, and it's not working as a service. If we run it from the shell, it works fine, but when we try to start it as a service, it starts up and shuts right back down with a Windows message that some services don't stay running if they have no work to do.

Is there something obvious I should be doing? Or something less than obvious? Even something obscure? :-) I've never had any Tomcat problems; it's a great tool that has always just worked for me. But that means I don't really even know where to begin looking to solve this.

Are others successfully running Tomcat on Windows Server 2003?

Thanks,

  -- Scott Sauyet