> [...] in defence of newsgroups, this is a
> high-volume list that I think would be better handled as a newsgroup.

I agree!! Should we start voting now ? ;-)

> 1) I think a lot of people aren't able to stay in the list continually
> due to the volume. There's a lot of subscribe, unsubscribe going on for
> people who need occaisional help.

It's exactly my point - I have to(!) read tomcat (and other) lists only
to be informed about "what's going on". In most cases it's ok
for me to just read the subject.
Note: Recieving 1000 mails a day kills my 50MB mailbox quota after
2 weeks vacation ;-)

>> >saying a newsgroup is a bad idea, mostly because many people don't
> >have access to newsgroups because of firewalls, proxies, and such).

This might be true for a discussion list about fruits ... I would however
expect people, writing programms in JSP/JAVA or discussing webserver
issues, to have some kind of access to nntp servers. Additionally there
are a lot of public "webnews" gateways that work pretty well (we wrote one ;-) )
and only required http access.

A last point:
The current list is too general from my point of view. It might be a
good idea to split the group into beginners and power users or
add a specific "installation-issue" list/group.

Have fun
Michael