I'm no expert on XML, but I do write documents in XML which are then
parsed/interpreted by a servlet (which I didn't write).

As far as I know, any XML document will parse without a DTD. A DTD just
provides the syntax - e.g. tag names, tag attributes, tag structures (list
of tags that a tag can contain). Without a DTD, the document is just checked
for "well-formedness" - e.g. that all start tags have an end tag. It should
be possible to store the web.xml DTD locally and modify the identifier to
point to it. Don't ask me what the syntax of the identifier is - all I know
is that it's different for DTDs that are local! Look in a good XML book
(e.g. New Riders, Inside XML).

I guess that having the DTD locally would also help when creating server.xml
and web.xml files: you'd be able to use an XML editor with the DTD and
therefore guarantee that all your <service>, <engine>, etc. tags where in
the right order, with the right attributes.

Thanks,

John

Quote for the week:

The men with the muck-rakes are often indispensable to the well-being of
society; but only if they know when to stop raking the muck.

Theodore Roosevelt, Speech in New York, 11 Nov. 1902