i think in the same way.......
there should be a necessary reason to do so, that we are missing, otherwise
it seems illogical

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nikola Milutinovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: web.xml Question

> > Usually the web.xml file of a web application starts with the following:
> >
> > <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
> > 2.3//EN"
> >      "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>
> >
> > This URL referst to the dtd file on SUN's server. I think most XML
parsers
> > like SAX need to read the dtd file to be able to parse the XML file.
>
> That would be a big problem. I'm no expert on the mnatter, but since
web-app DTD is something no Servlet container can work without, couldn't the
the container provide it to the parser? That URL is just an identifier,
saying "yes, I'm build upon Sun's public DTD for web.xml". So, the container
could tell the parser "look, here is that DTD, don't go fetching it".

> Maybe it's naive of me, but that's how I would do it. I've been using
Tomcat for some time now and it never complained on web.xml. I'm behind a
firewall and Tomcat is not even aware of that.