From: Milt Epstein [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 6:56 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Using JkMount with mod_jk question...

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Turner, John wrote:

> Good questions, all.  It doesn't matter to me if "servlet" shows up
> in the URL (it matters to some people/projects) so I haven't worried
> about it.  I think using "servlet" is just a convention...in my
> projects, I usually prepend the application name to it.  For
> example, if the application is XYZ, then I use XYZServlet to denote
> that application's servlet directory, not "servlet".  Same goes for
> company names...if you have company ABC using a particular app, you
> might say "ABCServlet".

Maybe I can add a little here.  A long time ago in a galaxy far away,
servlets used to be called with URL's like
"http://www.domain.com/servlet/ServletName";, where ServletName was the
actual name of the servlet class.  "servlet/" was a virtual directory
that told the servlet container (servlet engine back then) to find the
named servlet.  Of course, the web server had to be told to pass URL's
with "servlet/" in them to the servlet container.

That was before they came up with the idea of defining servlets in the
web.xml file, and specifying servlet-mapping's to allow url-pattern's
to point to these defined servlets.  Then you could define a servlet
dothis that was actually ServletName, and with the appropriate
mappings, you could use a URL like "http://www.domain.com/dothis";.

Now, I don't recall what the spec has to say about this, that is,
whether it requires/allows/disallows using the old style URL's with
"servlet/" and the actual servlet class name.  But some people think
it's a good idea not to use them, in fact, even to disable it, such
that you can only reach servlets that have been defined in web.xml.
In some ways, it allows more control and greater security.

Anyway, the

JkMount /servlet ajp13

in the examples is a vestige of all this.

> I think, if you tell apache that "index.jsp" is a valid starting
> page, you can just call "/mydir" instead of "/mydir/" and have that
> JSP page redirect wherever you want.

Wouldn't specifying index.jps as a welcome-file in web.xml be a better
way of doing this?

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)