On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Turner, John wrote:

> Sure, /*.jsp will send JSP files to tomcat.  But apache doesn't know
> that index.jsp is a "home page" unless you tell it so in httpd.conf:
>
> <Directory "/web/test/jsp">
>   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>   DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.jsp
> </Directory>

So is this something you actually have set up and are using?  Is
/web/test/jsp known to tomcat (i.e. as part of a context/web
application)?  Or are you allowing jsp's to appear outside of tomcat
contexts/web applications?

The thing I wonder about is how this all fits with the directory/web
application structure as per the servlet/jsp spec.  Basically, I
believe the spec says that everything is set up as context/web
application (and there's also the ROOT/default context), and the
directory hierarchy has a certain structure (e.g. in terms of the
WEB-INF, classes, lib directories and the web.xml file).  Being able
to have jsp's (and/or servlets) elsewhere might seem like a nice
convenience, but is it going against the spec?  Also, it seems mod_jk
allows this, but not mod_webapp.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)