We have following reqirements:
- each site can have a different version of a tool
- many sites share the same vesion of the tool
- a site may change the needed version of a tool
- a site may replace a tool by a different one
  (switch from postgres to firebird)

We have a setup like this:

/usr/local/tool-a-v1/lib/toola.jar
/usr/local/tool-a-v2/lib/toola.jar
/usr/local/tool-a-v3/lib/toola.jar

/usr/local/tool-b-v1/lib/toolb.jar
/usr/local/tool-b-v2/lib/toolb.jar

/www/online/www.site-a
/www/online/www.site-b
/www/online/www.site-z

Currently we use jserv and gnujsp.

jserv has the concept of repositories. The repositories are
added by jserv to the internal classpath. We use the repositories
to connect a site with the tools it needs. So it's very easy
to change the versions of the tool or to replace the tool.

Now to tomcat:

Without linking we would have to copy the libraries into
the tomcat directory structure for each site.

With copying I see two disadvantages for us:
- We would have several copies of the same libraries.
  Although disk space get cheaper, this is something
  that disturbs me (May be caused by the fact that
  my first hard disk had less space than a modern
  grafic card or handheld has memory: 40MB)
- We loose the 'natural' information which
  version of the library we use in specific site.
- If we would have to replace a version of a tool
  by a patched version, we could just replace the
  central file, now we have to copy this file to
  all instances that use this version.

With linking the libraries we could solve both
disadvantages for us.