Thanks for the response.

My point is simply that the files have to reside _somewhere_, correct?  So
if they have to reside _somewhere_, they might as well reside in the
structure intended for them.  The act of putting them in location A vs.
location B is exactly the same, only the destination is different.

The rest is housekeeping, and in my mind, it makes more sense to write a
housekeeping tool (or use a build/deploy tool) than it does to circumvent an
intentional design.  The only other problem is duplicates, as you pointed
out, but again, that's housekeeping.  As long as you know who/what has which
file, the fact that there are two copies of the file is pretty irrelevant
from a practical viewpoint.

John