Roberts, Eric wrote:

Just some other things which may help:

I define my Realm datasource in the GlobalNamingResource element of server.xml and this is where the parameters are also defined.
Any Context requiring authentication is defined with "privileged=true".
My Realm is defined within the Engine element - as the last item.
Thanks, but this didn't help either. :-(

> I am using 4.1.18 also - but upgraded from 4.1.12

I use 4.1.18 upgraded from 4.1.16 . Really, I use "Multiple instances of Tomcat" scheme, keeping $CATALINA_BASE the same, and just point $CATALINA_HOME to newly downloaded and un-tar.gz-iped directory of Tomcat. This way, only configs stay the same, and are reviewed only to reflect what new version's docs say.