>>Well, I installed a 'fisher' on a spare machine, to try to figure out what
>>rh7 broke, and, it really is just gratuitous, that is, if I compile 2.0.39
>>to *say* it is 9.9.99, I can run programs including chrooted lilo with no
>>problems. There is some hard coded check of the version in the redhat
>>libc. So, an obvious fix is that I just include a kernel that says, say,
>>9.9.99, which no-one will confuse with a real version. Should I do this?
>
>Gaah. I hate to think that we'll have to look at such a monstrosity
>just because RH are braindead.
>
>More seriously, I suggest you document this, and (if possible) encode
>the real kernel version somewhere.
Maybe we should wait a while to see how often this problem come up. Or
make the change as a kernel module or a commandline option or make the
/proc entry writeable or ...
//Björnen.