>> Pmodes: I have assumed that anybody building a pre-Nevada ON gate will
>> be using tools from that gate.  I confirmed with SFW folks that CUPS and
>> nethack were the only SFW exceptions for pmodes.  The former is handled
>> here in exceptions.h, and the latter as an exempt package in pmodes.c;
>> both have been retained.  Bonus points for anybody that can tell me if
>> the SMS consolidation still needs their packages to be exempted; I don't
>> have permission to look in their /ws mounted gates.
>
> I can't, sorry.

Not really sure who might know, didn't really expect folks here to chime in.

>> Nightly: I opted for no warning when PARENT_TOOLS_ROOT is not set.  Let
>> me know if you think it should not be silent.  I inspected the remaining
>> changes, and I don't think there's anything left to give SFW a problem.
>
> if -f pkgdefs/Makefile: yay!
>
> The risk about PARENT_TOOLS_ROOT is that there will be packaging errors if
> it's missing, right?  If that's all, I have no strong preference, so am
> fine with what you have.

The risk is that tools proto doesn't get copied to parent workspace,
which is the pre-6878498 state of nightly.sh.  Nobody seemed to notice
or care, for years, that -U didn't include tools.  Yes, if you use -U
and then attempt to package in the parent, that won't work, but I don't
think that's an actual, valid use case.  Translation: it didn't work
before, and it still won't.

--Mark