On 03/17/10 02:24 PM, Mark J. Nelson wrote:

Pmodes: I have assumed that anybody building a pre-Nevada ON gate will
be using tools from that gate.  I confirmed with SFW folks that CUPS and
nethack were the only SFW exceptions for pmodes.  The former is handled
here in exceptions.h, and the latter as an exempt package in pmodes.c;
both have been retained.  Bonus points for anybody that can tell me if
the SMS consolidation still needs their packages to be exempted; I don't
have permission to look in their /ws mounted gates.

I can't, sorry.

Not really sure who might know, didn't really expect folks here to chime in.

Nightly: I opted for no warning when PARENT_TOOLS_ROOT is not set.  Let
me know if you think it should not be silent.  I inspected the remaining
changes, and I don't think there's anything left to give SFW a problem.

if -f pkgdefs/Makefile: yay!

The risk about PARENT_TOOLS_ROOT is that there will be packaging errors if
it's missing, right?  If that's all, I have no strong preference, so am
fine with what you have.

The risk is that tools proto doesn't get copied to parent workspace,
which is the pre-6878498 state of nightly.sh.  Nobody seemed to notice
or care, for years, that -U didn't include tools.  Yes, if you use -U
and then attempt to package in the parent, that won't work, but I don't
think that's an actual, valid use case.  Translation: it didn't work
before, and it still won't.

Duh, right.  Sounds good to me.

liane