> On 19 Nov 2019, at 15:24, Jan Voskuil <jan.vosk...@taxonic.com> wrote:
>
> A very late after-burner (I am currently involved in similar discussions and
> stumbled upon this thread by accident):
> Have a look at Uschold's "Demystifying OWL". It is a good read, especially
> the two pages on punning.
> While there is little to add to what Irene and David have said, I think it is
> important to stress that when people say things like "I have a set of
> triples, and these imply OWL Full", what really is being said is that there
> is a deep and serious problem with the model being used. OWL Full does not
> solve these problems, nor does it cause interesting things to happen. It only
> guides an OWL-inferencer around the underlying problems, so that it does not
> break down. The original intention of the underlying model is not achieved,
> however. Introspective tools will not behave as expected. Irene's example
> about the BMW 240i is hard in any formal language, because of type theory
> being counter-intuitive. There is nothing one can do about that. Instead of
> trying to out-smart the semantics of RDF, it is most often better to bite the
> bullet and solve the issue in the model itself --- and accept the added
> complexity.

Hi Jan,

Personally, I think that characterisation goes a bit too far although the core
sentiment is a good approach.

Technically, all "OWL Full” really means is that the model uses logic that is,
for example, based in First Order Logic [1] rather than in Description Logic
[2]. Using DL often means the modeller has chosen “decidability” over
“representational capability” wrt their model. That’s fine if DL is sufficient
to model your domain of interest. But, what if it’s not?

There are certainly cases where the use of first order logic models and engines
have solved real-world problems.

I imagine most folks don’t know that “The relational model (RM) for database
management is an approach to managing data using a structure and language
consistent with first-order predicate logic,” (quote from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_model
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_model>)

There’s even an ISO standard logic language supporting for those cases - Common
Logic [3] is an ISO standard that “provide for the expression of arbitrary
first-order logical sentences”.

There are also standard data models, ISO 15926-2 [4] for example, that are
based in higher-than-DL order logic (full disclosure, with previous employers I
worked in ISO on 15926 and ISO 10303 STEP).

I agree that there are many, many, many “bad” models in industry. However,
there are plenty of quality models that use logic higher than DL - they just
require more expertise to create and use (e.g. logicians may be needed in the
project). I happen to have studied math and have been surprised at times to
find ontologist/modelers who don’t understand any of this stuff because they
never studied set theory or logic. These more complex ideas require some
background education/knowledge in order to use them properly. However, I’m sure
you know the quote: Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not
Simpler.

Apologies for the long reply and all the links. Just something to which I
happen to have had quite a bit of exposure, although am not truly an expert, as
I spent a lot of time debating academics and logicians in ISO-land when working
for IBM.

Cheers,
David

[1] ISO/IEC 24707:2018. Information technology — Common Logic (CL) — A
framework for a family of logic-based languages

See https://www.iso.org/standard/66249.html
<https://www.iso.org/standard/66249.html>

[2] First-order Logic

Seehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-order_logic
<seehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-order_logic>

[3] Description Logic

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Description_logic

[4] ISO 15926-2:2003. Industrial automation systems and integration —
Integration of life-cycle data for process plants including oil and gas
production facilities — Part 2: Data model

See https://www.iso.org/standard/29557.html

UK +44 (0) 7788 561308
US +1 (336) 283-0808‬