I'm developing a web-based application using Tomcat/Torque/MySQL. The
problem I run into is that after 8 hours of inactivity the persistent
connection Torque uses becomes invalid and I get an exception. The next time
I try it works. After another 8 hours of idle time the process repeats.

I searched the internet for answers but most of them involved good
programming practice to handle this situation in one's own JDBC code, I
however am using Torque.

Is there a way to configure Torque to handle this timeout period? I'd rather
not depend on the connection always being there in case it was dropped
because of network problems or what not. Ideally I would like Torque to
reconnect anytime it's connection becomes invalid or do some sort of
heartbeat.

Thanks,
Matt