> if it's time to re-visit that practice of not updating through minor
openssl versions; it's risky to try.

As an upstream OpenSSL maintainer we try very hard to ensure that stable
releases remain stable across patch releases. We only allow bug fixes
(no new features etc) into our patch releases and always seek to ensure
backwards compatibility. Of course every bug fix is ultimately a change
of behaviour and sometimes end users rely on that buggy behaviour.
Sometimes we get it wrong and inadvertently break something. I hope
those are few and far between though.

Ultimately if you fix bugs there will always be a residual risk that you
break something somewhere. Hopefully the risk is small enough that it is
acceptable.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssl in Ubuntu.

  OpenSSL 3.0.2 crash in Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Status in openssl package in Ubuntu:

  Full bug report at https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/20981

  No upstream impact: OpenSSL 3.0.9-dev does not contain the problem any
  more.