Thanks very much for this complete answer and apologies for using the
term "bug completeness": I meant "feature stability" (with bugs being on
the arguably negative side of that term -- and this discussion being one
regarding a bug).

Clearly there's more users (valuing stability) than developers (valuing
"progress" -- with known risks).

I personally think the OpenSSL team goes to great lengths to not break
things with new sub-sub-version releases but I can appreciate that not
all projects do the same and you don't want to annoy your users.

Indeed your distribution is one of the first to have integrated OpenSSL3
-- which gave me the ability to integrate quantum safe crypto and thus
make available that capability (in 3.0.2 only for KEMs, in future
releases also for signatures/certificates) to Ubuntu users: So, a big
Thanks to you for having taken that step -- with regard to quantum
security possibly still many, many years before it's a true necessity.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssl in Ubuntu.

  OpenSSL 3.0.2 crash in Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Status in openssl package in Ubuntu:

  Full bug report at https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/20981

  No upstream impact: OpenSSL 3.0.9-dev does not contain the problem any
  more.