Julf wrote:
> To pick some nits, there has been a comprehensive standard for I2S since
> 1986 ('here'
> (https://web.archive.org/web/20060702004954/http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat_download/various/I2SBUS.pdf)).
>
> I guess you are talking about a standard for using I2S as an external
> interconnect instead of between individual circuits (I2S stands for
> "Inter-IC Sound" after all).

You're not picking nits, it's valid information.
Only you should pay special attention to chapter 5.0 about voltage
levels: "Note: At present, TTL is considered a standard for logic
levels. As other IC (LSI) technologies become popular, other levels will
also be supported." And that's exactly the problem. There's no standard
for voltage levels, some brands use 5v while others use 3.3v. Trust me,
I've been down that road trying to connect a 3.3v I2S output signal to a
5v device. It didn't work.