I'm pleased to say that installing philippe_44's 3rd party plugin
"squeeze2upnp" appears to have solved my problem.

After "bumbling" my way through the settings instructions for a few
hours the Oppo now shows up as a player in both LMS and the SBT. I've
used an optical cable between the SBT and the Opp.

Last night I was able to use my Orange Squeeze smartphone app to play
music files through the Oppo's analogue settings thus taking advantage
of its AKM DAC. The embedded album art in the files also came up on my
TV screen whilst the song was playing.

Superb sound!