M-dB wrote:
> Currently an Xfinity xFi modem/router is connected by ethernet ->to a
> 2011 Mac Mini Os version 10.13.6, i5 core transmitting WiFi ->to the
> Channel Island Audio powered Logitech Squeezebox Touch 7.7. The Touch is
> connected with Straight Wire COAX/RCA -> to a Metrum Acoustics
> (Optical/Toslink and COAX/RCA only) NOS Mini DAC which is connected ->
> to a preamplifier with Cardas RCA interconnects.
>
> I don't know what LMS is. I assume the ethernet port is an input and am
> unclear about the USB port?
>

> Recently my Mac Mini is unable to support the new Pure Music 3 which has
> led me to consider an uncertain upgrade path. I'm told the Squeezebox
> may be limiting fidelity as well as using a WiFi input. At this point I
> find digital options exciting but extremely overwhelming. I assumed a
> contemporary asynchronous USB DAC and a hard wired connection to the
> Squeezebox Touch might be a place to begin?

Your Mac Mini should be running Logitech Media server (LMS) connected by
ethernet cable to your router.
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=8.1

Your Squeezebox Touch (SBT) should be connected to your router, either
with an ethernet cable or wirelessly, this makes no difference to the
digital signal, the ones & zeros either get to their destination, or
they don't).

Your SBT should be connected to your pre amplifier/amplifier/speakers
using RCA/phono cable.

The Mac Mini running LMS sends a digital signal to your SBT, the SBT's
internal DAC converts this signal to analogue.

Or, connect the SBT to an external DAC using SPDIF/COAX cable, this
bypasses the SBT's internal DAC and sends a digital signal to the
connected external DAC/amp/speakers.

*Server - LMS 8.2.0 *Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library,
playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
*Study -* Pi4/pCP 7.0.1/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
*Lounge* - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
*Dining Room* - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
*Garage* - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

*Spares* - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi